I’ve heard it, you have heard it… Humans are probably the only specie that would offer their babies another specie’s milk. That is probably not true for all humans, but that line was the introduction of the Lactation Consultant during our breastfeeding class. I asked my twin sister to accompany me to a breastfeeding class to help me prepare for my baby. It was a real eye-opener and these are some of the truths I learned from the class about Breastfeeding:
1. It is complete. Did you know that breast milk is a complete super food? You don’t need to supplement because it is sufficient with nutrients and vitamins that our little one needs. It’s like manna from heaven, the perfect health food for babies.
2. It immunizes. A child that breastfeed for 6 months and drinks breast milk up to 2 years old have immunization from many diseases up to 12 years of age. Even the COLOSTRUM which appears 3-5 days before the milk is a special super antibody provided specially for the baby. All this is produced by the body naturally.
3. It is good for the tummy. No constipation for newborns that feed on breast milk. It easily digests and is safer for the baby’s stomach. Constipation usually happens with formula. Also your baby will not experience lactose intolerance (this refers usually to an allergy to cow’s milk).
4. It is good for bonding. A mother and child develops a stronger bond when they breastfeed. They spend more time together thus providing the child a sense of security, comfort, and love.
5. It makes mommy sexy. Two benefits go to the mommy when she breast feeds. First, she can get her pre-pregnancy abdomen quicker. As the mom breast feeds her uterus contracts and goes back to its normal size sooner than those who don’t. The second benefit is breastfeeding can be a natural birth control. It delays the return of the menstrual cycle which protects the mom from getting pregnant again (but this is not a guarantee, so still be careful!)
6. It is convenient. There are no need of bottles that crowd the baby travel bag. There is no need to carry along water and powdered milk (that makes the bag heavy). Also no sleepless nights for daddy in trying to mix formula into the bottle. The mom is all that is needed!
7. It saves MONEY. Do you know how much a family saves if the mother breastfeeds? The family can save in 2 years more than P200,000.00 ! This is the part of the class where the husbands mouth drops, and looks intently at their wives to encourage them to breast feed. Then the Lactation consultant gives the wives a come back ” This is why you can demand from your husband vacations in exchange of the savings!” Hahahha… that is true!
I am amazed at how God provides for us. Naturally, breast milk is the BEST milk with all the benefits that other milk cannot completely provide. This encouraged me to also breastfeed my son by God’s grace. Now that I know, why would I not provide my child the very BEST?
Genesis 49:25 (NLT)
May the God of your father help you;
may the Almighty bless you
with the blessings of the heavens above,
and blessings of the watery depths below,
and blessings of the breasts and womb.